War on Drugs

Anyone who has had the misfortune to spend extended periods of time with me, will already be familiar with my abhorrence of the "War on Drugs". I mean, where to start? What does it matter to anyone who gets high?  Why o Why is it OK to drink yourself to death, but not smoke a joint, pop a pill, eat a mushroom, or inject narcotics into your veins? How is one better then the other?  I think we can not calculate the number of lives DESTROYED by the war on drugs vs. the drugs themselves.
After he took office, Barry Obama (who by the way shares a birthday with me) held some kind of on-line forum at the WH where he took questions from the internets.  The first question had to do with legalizing marijuana.  He made a sarcastic comment about stoners or something, and did not address the issue in any meaningful way.  The white house website now has a petition page, where citizens (yes, we still exist) are able to create petitions. If there are 5000 signatures, there will be a response from the WH.  Not surprisingly, the most popular petition calls for the legalization of marijuana.  It already has 15000 signatures.  I signed it anyway today.  You should too at  this page .  You have to register which is a slight pain, but whatever.  I mean, fer crissake.

Comments

Popular Posts